Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Oneida! Spoons and Forks!

Ok, I'm excited! So very excited! My heart has been in Haiti for quite some time. I'm always looking for ways to help. Look at my links on the left side of the blog and you will find links to my Haiti friends. Look back further in my posts and you will see my blog about Father Mark. Click here and you will find Father Marc and Pwoje Espwa - Hope in Haiti .

Click here and you will find Oneida. The founder John Humphrey Noyes' had a theory of Perfectionism, a form of Christianity with two basic values; self-perfection and communalism. These ideals were translated into everyday life through shared property and work. Noyes' solution was a society where the interest of one member became the interest of all - the enlargement of the family.

Somewhere between Father Marc and John Noyes is Will.

A few months ago I asked Will what would help the kids at Pwoje Espwa. He told me eating utensils. Now my first thought was to run around and collect all the old spoons and forks that I could find. I figure I have a couple hundred friends. If they all gave 5 spoons and 5 forks each, I'd have enough to give to Father Marc for his kids. Sounds easy, wasn't! I guess I've never taken the time to see what 1000 spoons and 1000 forks look like. But that's how many they needed. What to do? I'm sure if you've read this far, you've guessed it. I wrote a letter to Oneida asking them for spoons and forks. Today I recieved a call telling me they would love to help. God is amazing! The people at Oneida are my heros! Now all I have to do is figure out how I am going to get them to the little hands that need them.

Tonight I'd ask everyone who reads my blog to do something that matters, do it today.

No comments: